Sunday, November 25, 2007

Zucchini, Broad Bean, Chilli and Feta pizza

I was sitting on the kitchen bench the other day (a habit I've since childhood), pondering exactly what to do with my freshly podded broad beans. I was getting a little sick of having them with pasta, but still wanted a bit of a broad bean-feta mix thing going on. "Aha!", I suddenly thought. "I'll spike them with a bit of chilli. Genius!" And with that thought I gave the kitchen cupboards a little kick with my feet in celebration of my own superior brain power.

Except... you can't really just eat a whole bowlful of broadbeans with chilli and feta. Well, I could, but I'm sure Grumbles and Galumph would be asking where the rest of the meal was. So then I came up with the sterling idea of putting them on top of a pizza, with super thin strips of zucchini. Scathingly brilliant, oui?! Four out of five kicked up kitchen cupboards can't be wrong!

Zucchini, Broad Bean, Chilli and Feta pizza

Pizza Base: (makes enough for four bases)

Please note that this recipe only has enough topping for two pizzas, so put the other two spare bases in the freezer, and save them for a rainy day!

7 grams dried yeast (1 sachet)
2 tablespoons honey
600 ml warmish water
1 kilo flour

1 - Mix the yeast and warm water together, then stir in the honey until it is dissolved. Let rest for a couple of minutes.

2 - Put the flour in a bowl, then make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture slowly, mixing the dough together with a fork. Turn out onto a well floured bench top, then knead the dough for five minutes, or until elastic and smooth.

3 - Put the dough back into the bowl, and cover with cling wrap. Let sit for an hour or so in a warm, draft-free place, until the dough has doubled in size.

4 - Grab the dough, and divide into four balls. Roll out each ball of dough to fit your very lightly oiled pizza tray. It's now ready for it's topping.

Topping

300 grams broad beans, podded and blanched with skins removed.
1 zucchini, thinly sliced (I used a wide plane grater)
1 long red chilli, finely diced
100 grams feta, crumbled
100 grams tasty cheese or mozzarella

1 - Preheat the oven to 220 C.

2 - Place half the tasty cheese on each of the pizza bases. Top with the chilli, feta and broad beans, scattering them evenly.

3 - Top with the zucchini, layering over the pizza in a lattice pattern. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the base is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment